The Alaska State Capitol was originally the Federal and Territorial Building, but under provisions of the Alaska Statehood Act (approve July 7, 1958), became the property of the State of Alaska.
Funds appropriated by Congress in 1911 to pay for the purchase of the Capitol Building site were sufficient to pay for only half of the block on which the building is located. The citizens of Juneau raised the additional money needed to buy the remainder of the site and presented the property to the government. Ground was broken September 18, 1929. The future capitol building was completed on February 2, 1931, and formally dedicated on February 14, 1931.
The site and completed building represented an investment of approximately $1 million. Construction is of brick-faced reinforced concrete. The lower façade is faced with Indiana limestone. The four columns of the portico and the interior trim are of light and dark Tokeen marble from quarries at Tokeen, Prince of Wales Island, in Southeast Alaska. Alaska has one of the few capitol buildings that lacks a dome.
The building provided the first permanent chambers for the Alaska Legislature. The chamber of the State Senate and House of Representatives are located on the second floor and were remodeled in 1967 to give it a modern Alaskan atmosphere. Double doors with hand-carved panels of Alaskan scenes separate the office from the third floor. In 1980, under the direction of the Legislature, extensive restoration of certain area of the building was accomplished.
Fifth floor finance committee rooms were refurbished in the style of the early years and the House Speaker’s conference room on the second floor has received similar treatment. The ground floor entrance hall has been returned to its original decorative design.
For more information about our state capitol building, visit http://alaska.gov/